Mental Health First Aid
What is Mental Health First Aid?
– Mental Health First Aid is an 8-hour training course that teaches you how to help someone who has a mental health problem or is experiencing a mental health crisis.
– MHFA is an evidence based program through SAMSHA.
– MHFA helps you know how to identify, understand and respond to signs of mental illnesses and addictions.
– MHFA teaches a five-step action plan to assess a situation, select and implement appropriate interventions and secure appropriate care for an individual experiencing a mental health problem.
For more information on Mental Health First Aid visit the website below.
The Mental Health First Aid Action Plan
Why should you take it?
– To be prepared: CPR/First Aid training prepares you for medical emergencies, MHFA prepares you for mental health emergencies
– Mental illnesses are common: each year, 1 in 5 adults struggle with a mental illness that is significant enough to be diagnosed, but isn’t
– You care: learn how to be there for a friend, family member or colleague
– You can help: people with mental illnesses often suffer alone – reduce the stigma
Upcoming 2021 Virtual Classes for EMS Personnel
Mental Health First Aid for EMS focuses on the unique experiences and needs of firefighters and EMS personnel and is a valuable resource that can make a difference in their lives, their coworkers’ and families’ lives, and the communities they serve. The virtual class consists of a 2 hour self-guided portion and a 4 hour virtual class. EMS Classes are funded by Beyond the Save. More classes will be offered if there is demand. Contact Ellen Lindblom for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org or 906-228-9699, ext 1002.
June 14th, 2021
12:00 – 4:00 PM
* Please sign-up for ‘Waitlist, In-person Classes’ or ‘Waitlist, Virtual Classes’ to be notified of upcoming courses.